Entries are now being accepted for the 2nd Annual National Irish Brown Bread Competition which will be held on Sunday 25th May with €150 Cash Prize for the Winner!
This popular bake-off is already one of the most important Baking Competitions in Ireland and is held as part of the annual Sheridans Cheesemongers Irish Food Festival. The festival, organised by Ireland’s most famous Cheese family is now in it’s fifth year and is hosted at their Virginia Road Station headquarters in Pottlereagh, Co Meath.
RTE’s Ella McSweeney will be hosting the event as well as judging the competition along with Chapter One Chefs Cathal Leonard and Darren Hogarty and the lady who inspired the Sheridan brother’s love of brown bread, their mam Maura Sheridan!
|That’s My Homemade Brown Bread – Yum!|
The Rules of the Brown Bread Competition are:
- The competition is open to anyone who has baked their brown bread entry at home.
- €5 fee per entry -advance payment if entering online, or pay on the day if submitting entry via post/email/in person
- Any shape of bread is permitted, but 1 lb weight loaves are recommended.
- Marks out of 10 will be awarded for the breads and 1 point is available for “Irish Ingredients”
- Judging will take place at the festival and the breads must be delivered to the Brown Bread tent by 11am.
The overall winner will be announced at 3.30pm and will receive a cash prize of €150 plus a selection of Irish Foods including Irish flour from Macroom Oatmeal Mills and Dunany Organic Farm with which to keep making their brown bread.
The Deadline for receipt of Entries is Friday 23rd May 2014.
For Full details and to Enter the National Irish Brown Bread Competition, Click HERE or go to
Best of Luck to everyone!